Tuesday, August 18, 2009

School is Officially in Session

I'm writing this as I have completed two full days of teaching in Alaska! Lots of people have been asking me how it went, how it's different and just in general what it's like. Well, let me explain a little.

In some ways things are exactly the same. I've had a kid fall asleep in my class already because he was up until 3 AM. Students here socialize with friends during class just like they did in Ohio. Many classroom management issues are the same (Yes, you have to sit in a seat. No, you can't tip back in your chair. I'm sorry, flicking quarters is not appropriate behavior). Also, most students want to share their story with you. I have students who work on a commercial fishing boat in the summer "pitching fish". I think it's mainly grunt work, but they have to start there to be promoted.

But, in some ways, school is completly different! First, let me explain about Alaska time. Everything here is far more laid back than in the Lower 48. If something is supposed to start at 8, it might not start until 8:30 and nobody thinks anything of it. School is somewhat the same way. At TMS, students have 3 minutes between classes. If you were in gym class and had to go across the building to science, too bad you learned to walk quickly! Here, most high school students have three rooms- mine, the other teacher's, and the gym. The gym is approximately ten steps from my room. The other HS room is even less. Students still have three minutes between classes. However, tardies are not counted until 10 minutes into the class! So, a student could potentially take 13 minutes between classes. Although, to their benefit, they don't. To top off this discussion: there is no bell. Not one. It broke. So, it's up to the teachers to dismiss students.

Another thing that is different here: communication. The Yup'ik culture uses a lot of nonverbal communication. For instance a scrunched up nose means no. And the raising of eyebrows means yes. Funny story about that. . . The other day I asked a question in class. I asked, "Do you think that being a good writer is something that can be learned?" ONe of my students looked right at me and enthusiastically raised his eyebrows two or three times. I tried to ignore him. I couldn't figure out what he was doing. Was he trying to point at something? Was he flirting (doesn't he know I'm at least 10 years older?)? Was he just strange? I didn't know. Luckily, another student answered. Then, I asked, "Is writing an e-mail easier than a research paper?" Again with the eyebrows. Then, like a ton of bricks, it hits me. He wasn't strange, he wasn't flirting, he was agreeing with me! He meant "yes" to both my questions! I felt pretty silly. Now, I really hope he doesn't read this blog.

Overall, the last two days were pretty good. And, although I like it here, I miss TMS!

3 comments:

  1. Erin,

    I have several questions?

    Is there a cafeteria?
    Is lunch provided?
    Do you pack a lunch?
    Do you go home for lunch?
    Can you be 13 minutes late to your classes?
    What do the student call you?
    Do they have a dress code?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Teacher workday Thursday and Friday for Tiffin City School Teachers...the students begin on Monday, August 24, 2009.

    Tiffin Scenic Studio began hanging the new stage curtains today. The grand drape is a beautiful rich, ruby red. All other draperies are basic black with a new projection/movie screen and new cyclorama curtain.

    ReplyDelete