Thursday, August 13, 2009

Home Sweet Home

I thought it was about time that I posted something about Eek. I tried to have no expectations coming in. The houses are what I thought they would be--shacks by Lower 48 standards, but necessary here. Most houses are small because they're easier to heat that way. My house is what I call ghetto teacher housing. It's not really that bad, but all the other teachers live in brand new apartments and I have a trailer from the 70s! Let's discuss:


To the left you'll see a picture of the outside of my house (EE07). That's as close as I come to a physical address. The wooden sidewalk is actually called a boardwalk. Off either side of the boardwalk is tall grass and mud--lots of mud.


This is what is called an arctic entryway or mud room. Please ignore all the boxes. The school is in the process of relocating things and they needed boxes, so I've been keeping mine in case they need some.This is the kitchen. The water jug looking thing next to the sink is a filtration system. It's like a big Brita pitcher.

This is my living room. I had a hard time getting it all in the shot. It's not that big, but I just couldn't find a good angle! I have two recliners that I LOVE and a couch that's ok. The crazy lamp was left here by the former occupant. I can imagine that that's not the type of thing to check on a bush plane.









These two pictures are of my spacious bathroom. I'm saying that with all honesty because anyone who saw my last apartment knows that anything is an improvement! In the first picture you can see my two little earring racks. There are probably 20 pairs of earrings on each of them. I had some of the kids from the village in the other day and they were amazed by how many I had. I told them I had been collecting for awhile, and I'd been to a few Premier Design parties. They had no idea what that was though! In the second picture, behind the toilet is my shower stall. I'm supposed to be getting a tub soon. Keep your fingers crossed!





This is my pantry. The other side is full of shelves too. I took a picture of the full side. Pretty pathetic. I think I will be doing some more shopping soon!

This is the spare bedroom. The black hole in the first picture is really a dark blue recliner. You can see the clothes hanging behind the recliner because there are no doors to a closet here. Strange. You can also see Portia on the desk.








This is my bedroom. You can see how small the room really is. My bed is right against the wall and the nightstand is right next to it. In the first picture in the lower left corner is an air purfier that I borrowed from another teacher. The air in this house is not very clean. Overall, the house is not bad.


However, that being said there are a few things I wish I had brought with me:


1. JIF creamy peanut butter


2. black trash bags


3. DVDs. I forgot to send any of mine. I can rent them here, but that can get expensive!


4. air freshners and Frebreeze. Something in the house smells funny.


5. white socks for size 10 shoes.


6. any kind of chocolate stuff


7. duct tape


8. a trash can. I'm not really sure how I would have brought this, but I need one for the bathroom.


Well, I hope to post pics of the village and school soon. Also, check back for my thoughts on flying in a bush plane!

2 comments:

  1. You're well on the way to making your house a home. It sounds like you're enjoying things there. Can't wait to see pics of the community and the school!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Erin! Glad you made it safe and sound and that you've got a livable situation. If you have a high speed internet connection at home (and that is an if!) you should try Netflix --they've got tons of movies that you can stream instantly to your PC.

    :) Jenni

    ReplyDelete