Sunday, August 30, 2009

Landmarks

A few landmarks have occurred this weekend. First, I'm officially a certified teacher in Alaska. It has been quite the process! Keep in mind I hold a professional certificate in Ohio, I've been teaching 5 years, and I have a master's degree in education. How hard could it be to get certified here? Well, in early April I decided to find out. I sent in my application packet which included a long, notarized application, ink fingerprint cards (2 of them), an original copy of my Ohio certificate, a letter from Ohio Wesleyan stating that I did in fact complete student teaching, official transcripts from Kent State, Ohio Wesleyan, and Bowling Green, and the promise to hand over my first born child. Ok, maybe the last part isn't true, but the rest is. But, yesterday in the mail I received my Initial Teaching Certificate. It's good for at least 3 years assuming I take the required classes.


Second, I have been in Alaska for exactly one month! It's been great and I'm looking forward to the next nine (except maybe the -60 part).

Thirdly, I have been declared the Phase 10 queen of Eek!


Finally, I have become quite adept at berry picking! Berry picking is a common past time here in Alaska. Mostly women do the picking. There are several types: salmonberries, blackberries, blueberries, raspberries, and cranberries. People pick them and freeze them for use in many recipes, like Eskimo Ice Cream! I've been picking three times. The first time was after a boat ride on the Kuskokwim at new teacher training. That time I didn't actually keep any, I ate them along the way.


I have some pictures from my second berry picking episode.


First, salmonberries. They taste nothing like salmon. I assume they're called this because of the color.
There are also blueberries that grow like crazy here!


Also, there are blackberries here. They are nothing like the blackberries in the Lower 48, but they're still really good.



Finally, for all you math oriented people out there. I put a penny next to them to give you a size comparison.


I did pretty well that day! I put them on a cookie sheet to freeze them and use them later.

No comments:

Post a Comment