Sunday, July 5, 2009

Hometown Fame

Well, perhaps fame is a little too strong of a word. My mom informed me a few weeks ago that she had let our hometown newspaper, The Times-Reporter, know that I was moving to Alaska in case they wanted to do a little article on it. They did, and I e-mailed an intern named Rachael for about a week with all sorts of information. I truly expected that this story would be on page 12 of the Sunday paper. It was actually on Page 1 of a Thursday edition. I was a little embarrassed, but it was also fun. Follow the link to read the article. You may notice a few Tiffinites in the picture!

http://www.timesreporter.com/homepage/x135736337/Northern-exposure

A few funny things have happened since then. I got home from Atwood Lake today and my brother had called. He told me that there was a message on my parents' phone from a man in Wooster, Ohio, letting me know that he too had left home and taught in Alaska. He wanted to let me know that I could call him if I had questions. I'll fill all of you in on the call later.

However, the strangest thing that has happened because of the article has to be that a man called my parents and told them that his son had moved to, believe it or not, EEK, ALASKA, from UHRICHSVILLE!!! I can't believe that I'm not the first person to move from Uhrichsville to Eek. How is that even possible? Although his son has passed away his grandsons and great-grandchildren still live in Eek. I understand that they are pretty thrilled that I'm coming. My mom even spoke to another relative still living in the Tuscarawas County area. Strange, huh?

I'd also like to let everyone know that I heard of Sarah Palin's resignation. Although, I am a devoted Democrat, I must admit that Palin was actually a decent education governor. I cannot comment on any other facet of her term as I haven't researched it. I can't say that I'm terribly upset about her resignation.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is Christine, I saw the newspaper article. It was really nice. I also got your post card, see you at the party!!

    ReplyDelete