Wednesday, June 24, 2009

"The Look"

Today, I'd like to commentate on "the look". Some of you may ask, "What is 'the look', Erin?" Well, "the look" is the facial expression put on by people when they first learn that I'm moving to Alaska. "The look" really falls into three categories:
1. The you're crazy, but I'm going to smile anyway look
2. The I'm jealous look

And, well, ok maybe there are just two looks!

The easier look to explain is #2. Many people have traveled to Alaska and loved, or known someone who has been there and liked it. They remember the tree lined horizon, the huge mountains, and the majestic wildlife. They mention all this with a reverence that one gives a dead, but well-liked friend. I don't have the heart to tell them that Eek is far from those descriptions. It's tundra, no trees or mountains.

The other look is more common. People will often say that they have no desire to do it themselves, but are happy that I'm doing it. The most recent time I got this look was today at the post office. I have become a regular at the Tiffin Post Office. I know to pull around back and stack my packages on the trailer, ring the bell, and wait for someone to come out. Most of the people know me, but today I was helped by Amy. She had never seen me before. She was pulling out a bin of mail as I was stacking my packages. She looked at me with a strange sidelong look. I explained what I was doing, and she looked at my mailing label and smiled. "Oh, you're the Alaska girl, huh?" I nodded and agreed that I am indeed the Alaska girl. She looked at me with a half smile that said, "So this is what crazy looks like." She was more blunt with her thoughts. "Why are you moving there?" she asked. So, I explained myself again (for about the thousandth time!), and waited to be checked out.

This look is actually my favorite of the two. I know that what I'm doing is unorthodox, but that's what makes it the best. I can't wait for all the people who were confused and surprised by my move to see that following your heart isn't crazy or unorthodox, but something we should all do. Imagine what the world would be like if we all followed our hearts.

3 comments:

  1. I don't have a look!!! All I can say is good luck and you might as well do it while you are young! I hope you enjoy your time in Alaska!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You actually forgot the 3rd look...brought to you by Jay & Mike. That of course would be the immediate high 5 as these fine gentlemen realized they could travel to Alaska and have free housing. And if they leave their wives at home, the cost is half as much.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I stand by my statement that I only have two beds, and I don't share!

    ReplyDelete