Sunday, July 19, 2009

"Tiffin. . . It's only one year!"

Those were my exact words when people asked what I thought about my first teaching job being in Tiffin, Ohio. I kept telling people it was only one year. I could handle that. That was five years ago. Everyone always told me that life flies by after you graduate. I didn't think it was true. I knew that college was amazing and I couldn't imagine anything better. In fact, I forbid my friends from mentioning the month of May my senior of college because that meant it was over. And, as much as absolutely LOVED OWU and DZ, I have to admit Tiffin has been better. I think it's directly related to a steady paycheck of more than $100.

I'd like to take a minute to talk about why I've enjoyed living here so much. I just had a little cook-out to say goodbye to friends. About 45 of my closest friends and family members were there. There were people there from every part of my life.

Without further ado, here is my list of why Tiffin is just dandy. . .

1. My family. I didn't grow up in Tiffin, so I didn't get to see my grandparents or extended family too much as a child. Living here fixed that, and I'm so happy I got the chance to do so.

2. Heidelberg University, especially Dr. Diane Armstrong. I took one elective course at the 'Berg while I was living here. In that class I met six amazing women who have become some of my best friends here in town. I will miss our 4:30 dinners where we order everything from appetizers to dessert because we're at the table so long!

3. Reino's. Just because it's great.

4. The amount of parades. Who knew a town needed so many?

5. The Ritz Theatre. A place where I've honed my love of theater, made great friends, and had too many laughs to count. Also, I think it's amazing that a small town has such a great theater. Many people here don't realize how wonderful and rare it is. Treasure it, Tiffinites.

6. Tiffin City Schools. Obviously I love TCS because of the paychecks they gave me, but there are other reasons. I'm leaving town for another teaching job. I only got the job because of my teaching skills and accomplishments. I became the teacher I am because of TCS. I couldn't have embarked on this adventure without the help of staff, teachers, and administrators.

7. Tiffin Middle School. I list this separately because I made more friends at TMS than any other place in town. I'll miss everything from rainy bus duty to breakfast pizza to the lunch room. I can't explain why the lunch room was so great; you just had to be there. Oh, and the students were pretty awesome too.

I apologize for this tome to Tiffin because I'm sure many of you won't care if you don't live here. But, this is why I can move to Alaska. Life is a road in which every turn counts.

1 comment:

  1. I think you are pretty amazing too! I will definitely miss our long talks about everything under the sun during our 5 hour dinners. Enjoy this wonderful experience!!!

    ReplyDelete