Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Class is in session

I've been thinking about a topic to blog about. I tried to think of the one thing that people asked the most about while I was home for winter break. And, I have to admit that most people asked lots of questions about school up here. So, I'll do my best to point out, what I consider to be, the main differences between Ohio schools and here in no particular order.

1. The students call me Erin. Not Miss Schalk or ma'am, but Erin. It truly is a village feel here. We all live together and are "in it" together, so we're all on a first name basis. It's true that in Ohio, I have given students detention for calling me Erin, but here it's normal. And, I have to admit that it doesn't bother me. It's made me realize that respect is more than a title, but your character.

2. We don't give traditional grades. Although teaching isn't different, and learning is the same, the way we structure curriculum and grade is different. It's more holistic. For instance, students aren't really in grades. They have indicators to meet for a "phase". Once they finish, they can move up. Therefore, motivated students can move quickly through curriculum and less motivated students don't move. In some ways, I think this is great. I think it allows for a more individualized education. On the other hand, there is a high turn over rate here, and therefore spotty record keeping. So, it can backfire on us.

3. Students come to my house-a lot. They always want to visit, and it's considered normal to let them sometimes. In Ohio, I NEVER would let a student in my house, but here it's ok. They'll come in for a little while, watch TV, play cards, whatever. In my opinion, it's just something to do in a town with very little to do.

4. Student behavior has different standards. The students here often come tired, and sometimes, we let them sleep.

5. I don't give homework. Ever. It's just easier not to, and frankly, I can't say my results are worse than they were in Ohio.

I really feel like I work twice as hard here. I had 2 or 3 different classes to prepare for in Ohio, here I have 6. The lesson plans that are required are more involved, and the classes are longer. So, I work every weekend. I could count on one hand how many days I have been in the village and NOT gone into work. But, I also think it's more rewarding. So, in the end, it's worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment