Monday, May 18, 2009

Why ALASKA?????

I think I've probably been asked about a hundred times now why I'm moving to Eek, Alaska. There are several reasons. First a professional goal: I want my PhD. The program I want is competitive and teaching somewhere like this will give me an edge. Second, a practical goal: I have a lot of student loans, and they can be forgiven for working in rural Alaska. Third, a personal goal: how cool will it be to live in Alaska? (both literally and figuratively).

So, I got online and started checking out schools in Alaska. I went to the ATP job fair in Grand Rapids, Michigan, and starting interviewing. I actually didn't think I got the job because they made me wait about 3 weeks to offer it. Luckily, they did offer it! Since the job offer my inbox has been flooded with paperwork that has to be done soon.

I have about a million questions that need to be answered. Like what do I take? What do I leave? Banking? Is Michelle Lange, right? Do I really need to trade furs and pelts, or do they accept Visa? These are all questions that I have, and hopefully will get answered before I go.

If any of you have questions, feel free to ask!

4 comments:

  1. Hi Miss Schalk!! How were you? I'm fine HHHHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck in Eek Alaska Miss Schalk!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Make sure you convert your U.S. dollars into Alaskan cash. Otherwise you may not be able to purchase the 12 pack of Coke that will cost the equivalent of 11 U.S. dollars.

    ReplyDelete
  4. But will you make enough to pay for all of the car transmissions you currently owe for?

    ReplyDelete