Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Fly me . . . Anywhere!

Well, I thought I ought to post about what I've been up to even though it will be a little sad. On Wednesday, December 9 I received news that my grandmother had passed away. I was more than a little upset and feeling pretty guilty about living across the country. So, I spent an eventful few days trying to get back to Ohio.

It turns out that changing your airline ticket is not very easy. It started with the bush plane. I made a reservation with Grant Aviation for their late afternoon flight (around 5:30). The plane finally landed at 6:15 or so. When it did land, I noticed that it was full, of course that's only 5 people. The pilot apologized, but couldn't really do anything. In the meantime, I made arrangements with a second airline (Yute Air) to pick me up. So, everyone left, and Portia and I sat there and waited. Then, my phone rang. It was Yute telling me they were done flying. I begged the agent to send someone because I was trying to go home for a funeral. He said he'd try. So, I called Grant Aviation back and had a little conversation. It went something like this:
Me: I had a reservation, and when the plane landed it was full. I need to get to Bethel.
Grant: We're sorry ma'am. We fly again at 8:00 tomorrow.
Me: Now you listen. I use this airline because you're reliable. I'm trying to get home for a funeral. Now, the time I need you, you're not reliable. I'm a teacher. Do you think I won't tell people what happened! I need to get to Bethel! My flight leaves at 8:40 PM.
Grant: I'm sorry, ma'am. When the pilot lands, we'll send him right back to get you.
Me: Good! I'll be waiting.

As soon as I hang up, a plane from Yute Air lands. I debated for about 30 seconds and hopped on. I noticed the interior was held together by duct tape, but decided not to worry. I called Grant back and explained. They were less than happy. Oh well.

So, I made it safely to Bethel. My friend Segue met me and brought me dinner. It was so nice of her to bring me food. I got on a flight to Anchorage without incident (thankfully).

When I checked in at Anchorage I learned that my flight was delayed 35 minutes. Unfortunately, my layover in Phoenix was only 35 minutes long. So, I would miss my flight to Pittsburgh. At this point, I was near desperate. I told the airline clerk that I was trying to make it home for a funeral. Could they send me to another airport? Finally, they worked me onto a flight to Columbus. Honestly, that worked out the best because my grandmother was living near Columbus.

So, I arrived at Columbus's airport and was picked up by my father. First order of business, fast food. Who knew how much I would miss it? I'll post later about what it's like being home after 4 1/2 months.

No comments:

Post a Comment